Several users have reported an issue in which Adobe Photoshop CS5 and other CS5 applications cannot save user preferences. When users change preferences then quit the application, they are greeted with the message:
“Could not save Preferences because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders.”
This problem can generally be resolved via the following steps, outlined by a poster to Adobe’s support forums:
- Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings
- Select that file File>Get Info
- Under permissions, click the + icon.
- Add your username from the list that pops up.
- Highlight the just-added user
- Click the gear icon to the right of the +/-
- Choose “make owner”
- Click the gear icon again and choose apply to folder contents