DFU Mode is an essential tool in the idevice arsenal. Device Firmware Update is different than the recovery mode. When the iPhone enters into DFU mode, you should see a blank black screen on your iPhone. Things are a bit different for accessing DFU Mode on iPhone X and iPhone 8 models. Let’s take a look.
For most problem solving, recovery mode is what ifolks use. You will need the DFU mode when you are trying to downgrade the iOS version or un-jailbreak it.
With the new iPhone models, things have changed when it comes to the putting the device into DFU mode. If you own an iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ or iPhone X, please follow the steps below to enter the DFU mode on your device.
DFU Mode on iPhone X and iPhone 8 Step by Step
- Update to latest iTunes version on your computer FIRST
- Connect Your iPhone to your Computer using the Lightning Cable
- Launch iTunes and make sure that your iPhone shows up in the list of devices
- Make Sure your iPhone is switched ON
- Next, Press the Volume UP button followed immediately by the Volume DOWN button
- Now, Press and hold the Side or Power button until the iPhone screen turns black
- Your screen should stay black, if not go through the previous steps again
- Release the Side or Power button and press down both the Side or Power button AND Volume DOWN button together for 5 seconds or so
- After 5 seconds, release the side or power button but keep pressing the Volume Down button
- Give it a few seconds, around 10, till iTunes recognizes the DFU mode and check that your screen remains black
- If you successfully entered the DFU Mode on your device, you see a message that “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.”
- If not, repeat these steps
If you do not see a black screen, you are not in DFU Mode. Please run through these steps again.
We hope that you found these easy 10 steps helpful. Sometimes during the process, you may accidentally enter recovery mode or your iPhone simply turns off. Please try the steps again and you will be successful. To exit the DFU mode on your iPhone 8 or iPhone X, simply turn off the device.
We hope that you do not ever need to get to the DFU mode on your brand new iPhones. Some ifolks like to clean everything when they get a new iPhone and these steps should help if you are trying to clean and then restore your iPhone X with a fresh install of 11.1. Please let us know in the comments below if you have any questions or additional tips that you want to share.