You can quickly wake your iPhone by gently tapping on the display. This option is only available on a limited number of devices. More specifically, you can use Tap to Wake only on iPhone X and newer models. This feature may sometimes stop working leaving your iPhone unresponsive to your taps. Let’s see how you can troubleshoot this issue.
Why Won’t My iPhone Turn on When I Tap It?
- Don’t forget to update your iOS version. If this issue is caused by a software bug, Apple may have already patched it. Go to Settings, select General, and then Software Update. Install the latest iOS version, restart your iPhone, and check the results.
- Remove your screen protector. Thick screen protectors may sometimes break touchscreen features.
- Disable battery saver. When the battery saver option is on, your iPhone automatically stops all the unnecessary processes. Tap to wake is one of them as it forces the device to constantly remain alert for the tap signal.
- Use the cable charger instead of wireless charging. Many users complained that Tap to Wake won’t work when the iPhone is connected to a wireless charger. The charger may be interfering with the Tap to Wake feature. Use a Lightning charger instead.
Check Your Settings
Make sure Tap to Wake is on. Maybe you accidentally turned off the option while tweaking other settings.
- Launch the Settings app and navigate to General.
- Then select Accessibility.
- Scroll down to Tap to Wake.
- Switch this option to On.
Alternatively, if the setting is already On, switch the toggle to Off and restart your iPhone. Go back to Settings, re-enable Tap to Wake and check the results.
Reset Your Settings
Reverting all your iPhone settings to default may solve this issue. Maybe there’s one particular setting that’s blocking Tap to Wake. Go to Settings, select General and tap Reset all settings.
Rest assured, this action won’t delete anything from your device. It will only reset your current iPhone settings.
Maybe the Screen Is Faulty
Go to the nearest Apple Store and have your iPhone checked. Maybe your display is the problem and you need to replace it. Many users confirmed this was the solution that worked for them when all the other troubleshooting methods failed.
On the other hand, if this problem started after you had your iPhone’s screen replaced, this may indicate the display is not original. That’s why you should always go to an authorized Apple repair center to have your display replaced.
Tap to Wake not working properly is a frequent iPhone X issue but newer models are also affected by this problem. To fix it, disable and re-enable Tap to Wake, reset all settings, install the latest updates and have your display checked. How often is your iPhone plagued by Tap to Wake issues? Did you find other solutions to troubleshoot the problem? Share your ideas in the comments below.