Several users have reported poor battery life with iPhone 5. Your iPhone battery should last 8 to10 hours of talking and browsing time on 3G / Wi-Fi and LTE. Here are some tips to increase battery performance on your iPhone 5:
- Turn off services/features that you are not using. This includes Location Services (Settings > Privacy > Location Services); Push Notifications (Settings > Notifications); extra sounds (like keyboard clicks), turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LTE when you are not using them.
- Turn off Siri completely if you are not using it. (Settings >General > Siri).
- Turn down screen brightness (Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper)
- Change email settings to manual (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data and tap Manually)
- Restart your device by simply pressing and holding the power button.
- Some apps may be using too much of your battery. There is a free app called Carat (iTunes link) that reports apps that are using lots of power.
- Calibrate your battery by completely draining your power (so your iPhone 5 will shut off), then charge to 100%. Do this once a month.
If you are still having poor battery performance:
- Reset all settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not delete your apps / data on your iPhone 5, but it will delete your settings and preferences.
- If nothing above fixes your problem, then you may consider restoring your device in iTunes. First make sure that you have backed up your device, plug your device into a computer (Mac or PC), and then restore it in iTunes.
- 10 Simple Ways to Prolong iPhone Battery Life
- How to properly maintain your iOS devices: iPad, iPhone and iPod
- Battery drain problems after iOS 6
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.