These days, Apple’s devices support more languages than you might even know existed. And if you want to change the language on your device, doing so takes little time.
- How to Add a Different Keyboard Language on iPhone
- 12 Built-In Mac Apps You Didn’t Know Existed
- Siri Shortcuts Not Working on iPhone or Apple Watch? How to Fix
- How to Use Dictionaries in iOS 16
- How to Use the Shared With You Function in iOS 16
If you want to change the main language on your iPhone or iPad, the process is pretty simple. In this article, we’ll show you how to change this specific aspect on your device.
How to Change the Main Language on Your iPhone
Changing the main language on your iPhone only takes a couple of simple steps, and you’ll find these below.
- Go to Settings > General > Language & Region.
- At the top of the page, you’ll see the languages you already use under Preferred Languages. Go to the Add Language tab when you’re ready to change it.
- Pick the language you want to change to. If you can’t find it when scrolling, you can use the search bar. In this example, we’ll change our iPhone’s language to Swedish.
- You will see a prompt asking if you want to change your primary language or continue using the current one. Select Use [New Language].
Your iPhone will shift to the language you chose straight away. If you want to change the language back to one that’s already on your list, you can use the three lines icon to move your preferred language to the top. Once you’ve confirmed that you want to reset your iPhone, the changes will take effect.
How to Change the Main Language on Your iPad
The process of changing the main language on your iPad is a little different from your iPhone. However, the steps are still pretty simple and won’t take you too long; follow the instructions below.
1. Go to Settings > General > Language & Region.
2. At the top, you’ll see a tab called iPad Language. Click on this to change it.
3. Choose the language you want to change your iPad to. Again, we’ll pick Swedish in this instance.
4. You will see a prompt asking you to confirm your requested change. Click on Continue, and your iPad will restart.
Like on the iPhone, you can shift between languages by going to the three lines icon if you want to change back to another of your preferred languages.
Changing the Main Language on Your iPhone Is a Little Different From the iPad
Regardless of whether you want to change the main language on your iPhone or iPad, the process is simple – even if it is different. You can choose from languages across the globe, and it’s easy to switch to your mother tongue or use your device as a tool for learning a new one.
If you later decide that you want to switch your preferred language back to what it was before, the process is also straightforward.
Danny is a freelance writer who has been using Apple products for over a decade. He’s written for some of the largest technology publications on the web and previously worked as an in-house writer before carving his own route. Danny grew up in the UK, but now writes about tech from his Scandinavian base.