When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is check my iPhone for all the latest! And I absolutely love seeing that Good Morning message on my lock screen with a quick snapshot of today’s weather forecast. It actually helps me plan what to wear that’s weather appropriate!
We don’t know why Apple didn’t make this Good Morning widget a default setting for iOS because it is so useful. Instead, you have to manually set it up using Do Not Disturb’s Bedtime feature, so it shows you your local day’s weather and events when you first get up.
Why offer a Good Morning greeting?
The idea is that rather than having the lock screen immediately explode with notifications in the morning, you get to wake up and be greeted by a calm message that eases you into the day before you move on to missed notifications and everything else.
Follow the steps in this article and get your Good Morning report on your iPhone’s lock screen too.
- How to Use the New Do Not Disturb Bedtime Mode in iOS 12
- Common iOS 12 Problems and How to Fix Them
- Notification Changes in iOS 12, Here’s what we Know
- 1 How to get the Good Morning greeting with the weather widget on your lock screen in iOS 12+
- 2 Don’t want the Good Morning greeting on your lock screen?
- 3 How to allow calls from specified contacts during scheduled Bedtime and Do Not Disturb
- 4 Reader Tips
How to get the Good Morning greeting with the weather widget on your lock screen in iOS 12+
Step 1: Enable Do Not Disturb Bedtime Mode
For starters: What is Do Not Disturb?
Do Not Disturb automatically silences calls and notifications during a specified period.
In iOS 12+, it can easily be enabled using a force touch action in the control center.
When this is enabled, the only time a call makes an alert noise is under one of two circumstances: A select person or people that you can whitelist, or when a second call occurs very close to the first indicating an emergency.
The feature is excellent and allows for an easy way to silence your phone without having to toggle through sound and notification settings.
- Go to Settings app
- Tap Do Not Disturb
- In iOS 12, toggle on Scheduled and set a schedule a time for Do Not Disturb. Scheduled sets periods where you do not want to be interrupted
- Toggle on Bedtime mode
When you enable Bedtime, your lock screen automatically dims and silences most calls and other notifications. You still get notification banners in notification center–just no sound announcing them!
With Bedtime, if you try and distract yourself by reading your phone at night, you won’t be able to.
Step 2: Check that you have Apple’s Weather app!
Getting your Good Morning (or good afternoon, evening, or night) greeting to show your local weather reports depends on your device having Apple’s native weather app installed.
Your device’s lock screen weather information comes directly from the Apple Weather app and nowhere else–it cannot connect to any third-party weather apps.
So if you use a different weather app to check the day’s weather and deleted the Apple weather app, you need to download and reinstall the native weather app from the App Store.
How to check and download Apple’s weather app
- Swipe down from the middle of your screen to engage spotlight search
- Tap the search field
- Type in weather
- Look in the results for an application named just Weather
- If it’s not under applications, check the app store and tap it to install
Step 3: Enable the Good Morning Widget
Once you set up Do Not Disturb during Bedtime, you are pretty much good to go for the new Good Morning lock screen.
And it’s not just for the morning! It’s anytime you set for Bedtime Mode–good news for the night shift workers
- Make sure you turn on Bedtime mode following the steps above
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services
- Scroll down the list of apps to Weather and tap it
- Under Allow Location Access check AlwaysAllow location access to always to get the weather widget and Good Morning greeting on your lock screen
You should now see a “Good Morning” greeting whenever you wake up!
Get a quick look into the day ahead, including weather and events.
Currently, the good morning screen only appears on iPhones, not iPads or iPods and only the first time you look at your phone after your Do Not Disturb schedule ends, but we hope Apple expands the feature over time.
The greeting also clears when new notifications pop in.
Don’t want the Good Morning greeting on your lock screen?
If you don’t like this feature or find it annoying, disabling it is super easy!
- Open Settings > Do Not Disturb
- Toggle off Bedtime Mode
How to allow calls from specified contacts during scheduled Bedtime and Do Not Disturb
If you want calls from your parents, children, friends, boss or co-workers to come through, even when Bedtime Mode or Do Not Disturb is on, you can do that.
Under Settings > Do Not Disturb, scroll to Phone > Allow Calls From.
Here specify if you want your Favorite contacts, No One, Everyone, or even specific groups (like co-workers or the boss) to get through.
How to make a contact a favorite on an iPhone
- Open Phone App
- Tap Favorites in the lower left of the bottom menu
- Tap the Plus Sign to add a new contact to your list of favorites
Using a Phone With 3D Touch?
If you have an iPhone with 3D Touch, there’s another option to show some of your favorite contacts.
- Go to your Home Screen
- 3D Touch and Press on the icon for the Phone app
- Your top 3-4 favorite contacts display with their picture (if applicable) and name
- These are the top people on your Favorites list
And don’t forget to set up the emergency bypass
We highly recommend you toggle on Emergency Bypass for specific contacts.
Emergency bypass lets you receive text messages or phone calls or both texts and calls from designated contacts when enabled. It ignores any Do Not Disturb settings for these set contacts only.
And it’s super easy to set up!
- Open Contacts app
- Tap a contact you want to give emergency bypass to
- Tap Edit
- To allow calls, choose Ringtone
- Toggle on Emergency Bypass
- To allow texts, choose Text Tone
- Turn on Emergency Bypass
- Tap Done and then Done again to save settings
Emergency Bypass also allows those contacts’ calls or messages to alert you with sound when your iPhone is set to mute–so just add a few contacts!
- For me, I needed to also turn on location-based alerts before I get good morning and weather on my iPhone XS’ lock screen. This setting is in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Settings (at the bottom of the list)
- My iPhone kept showing me the weather from a neighboring village! Very frustrating. But after opening up the weather app on my iPhone and checking that it showed my actual location, from then on it showed my village on the lock screen
Binyamin has been writing about Apple and the tech sector as a whole for over five years.
His work has been featured on Forbes, MacWorld, Giga, MacLife, and more.
Additionally, Goldman is the Founder of BZG, a software development company focusing on Apple devices.
Currently a Senior Writer at AppleToolbox, Goldman has written for Updato and Inside Pulse and was a founding member of WatchAware and Mulling Apple.