As the year continues to ramble on, we get closer and closer to the launch of Apple’s new venture — Apple TV+. This is another example of how Apple is turning its focus onto services while keeping its grip on the hardware.
To start watching Apple TV+, open the Apple TV app on a compatible device. Go to the Watch Now tab or search for AppleTV+, start your trial, and sign in with your Apple ID. Confirm your billing information, agree to the terms, and start watching Apple TV+ content! It’s that easy.
- It’s Showtime keynote: Apple announces AppleTV+ and more!
- Everything you need to know about Apple TV+
- Where is the Up Next feature on tvOS 13?
At the iPhone announcement event, Apple first took to the stage to introduce pricing for the new streaming services. At just $4.99 per month, with some big exclusive shows, TV+ could be taking on Netflix and Hulu in no time.
How to get Apple TV+ free for one year
But Apple didn’t stop at just announcing a new show and the pricing. The company also shared a promotion that will be running starting on November 1st, the service’s launch date.
Which Apple devices are eligible?
This promotion provides a one-year free subscription trial for Apple TV+ for just about any new Apple device purchased after September 10th. And no, you won’t have to just buy the device from Apple, as select authorized resellers are also included in the promotion.
As for what devices are eligible for this promotion? The list is pretty long, so we’ll make it short and sweet.
- Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
- It must be purchased after September 10th from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller.
This is a fantastic way to get more users on board with this new streaming service. Including an entire year, which equates to almost $60, is an amazing promotion.
Signed up for your apple tv+ subscription? How to watch it on your TV
To actually watch your Apple TV Plus’ content on your TV, you need:
- Hardware that can access Apple’s TV app (such as an Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick or a compatible smart TV)
- Activate your Apple TV+ subscription
How to activate the Apple TV+ Free 1 year subscription
It’s important to note, that this won’t be available until November 1st, as that’s when TV+ launches. However, here are the steps you will need to take to activate your free year of the streaming service:
- Turn on your compatible Apple device, and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Ensure you have the latest update installed.
- Open the Apple TV app.
- The offer should immediately present itself.
- Tap “Enjoy 1 Year Free” and enter your Apple ID password.
You may be asked to confirm your billing information or add a new payment method. Once completed, your Apple TV+ subscription will be available and you can stream away.
In the event that the promotion notification does not appear, open the Apple TV app. Then, scroll down to the Watch Now section and wait until the notification appears.
Are there any catches?
There are no major catches when signing up for Apple TV+. There are a few caveats, however:
- This offer is only good for one Apple ID, and only one offer per family if you are a part of the Family Sharing group.
- Up to 6 family members can share the Apple TV+ subscription through Family Sharing.
- You have three months after November 1st to sign up for Apple TV+ for free, provided you purchased a new device after September 10th.
- After the 1-year free trial has expired, you will be billed at $4.99 per month until you cancel the subscription.
- The offer is only available for a limited time.
We are not sure exactly how long Apple will be running the promotion. But we will be sure to let everyone know once Apple reveals that information.
There is a lot of promise in what Apple TV+ can bring to the streaming service wars. With big names like Steven Spielberg and Oprah on board, along with A-list actors, we are excited to see what’s to come.
Let us know if you plan on signing up for TV+, or if you are going to opt for something like Disney+ when it launches.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.