There are a lot of different options on the Apple App Store that make it easier than ever to navigate. Gone are the days when you needed to manually print out directions from websites like MapQuest, and we’re even further away from needing an actual book of maps. Instead, you can just type in an address or location, and instantly get directions to wherever it is that you need to go.
- Fix: Apple CarPlay Directions Not Available
- Change Alert Settings on Waze While on Call
- Fix: iPhone Maps Is Giving Wrong Directions
- How To Stop Apple Music From Automatically Playing
- How To Create Smart Playlists in Apple Music
How to use Apple Music with Waze
One of the most popular navigation apps is and has been, Waze. The company started out on its own but was then acquired by Google. Since then, the app has implemented different features in addition to letting you know where the traffic slow-downs are. And in an effort to help keep your eyes where they belong, on the road, Waze offers the ability to control your music playback right from the app.
However, until now, Apple Music users and subscribers were unable to take advantage of these in-app music playback controls. Instead, you would have to keep switching back and forth between Waze and Apple Music if you wanted to skip songs or pick something else altogether. Thankfully, Google and Waze have announced that you can finally control Apple Music right from the Waze app, without needing to divert your attention from the road.
Here’s how you can use Apple Music with Waze, as there is a bit of setup required to get things up and running properly:
- Download the Waze app from the App Store, if it’s not already installed.
- Open the app and log in with your account information.
- Wait a moment for the app to load.
- Tap the music note icon in the top right corner of the app, once it appears.
- Select the Apple Music icon from the list of music applications.
- Provide access to Apple Music from the Waze app.
- If not done automatically, open the Apple Music app on your iPhone.
- Select the song or playlist that you wish to play.
- Leave the Apple Music app and open Waze.
- Tap the music note icon in the top left corner.
From here, the Waze app will provide you with playback controls for the Apple Music songs or playlists that you are listening to while driving. A rotating progress bar appears around the Play/Pause button, providing an indication as to how much time is left in the current song. You also have buttons to shuffle the playlist or repeat the song. There’s also a “Show list” button at the bottom of the playback controls, which shows the list of upcoming songs in your queue. This allows you to simply select another song from the list without needing to switch from the Waze app.
Can’t Select Apple Music in Waze?
Although this feature is still rolling out to users, there are some that claim that the Apple Music app is still not appearing for them. Luckily, the fixes for this are pretty easy.
The first step that you’ll want to take is to jump into the App Store and make sure that you have the latest version of Waze downloaded to your iPhone. Once that is done, open the app and make sure you’re logged in. From there, follow these steps:
- With the Waze app open, tap My Waze.
- Select Settings.
- Tap Audio Player.
- Select Show Audio Player.
- Go back to the main Waze screen.
- Follow the steps above to activate Apple Music within the Waze app.
We haven’t come across any other fixes for those who haven’t been able to see Apple Music appear in the Waze app. Let us know in the comments if you have run into similar issues or have found a workaround to get the Apple Music to properly show up.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.