We’ve gotten so used to seeing the battery percentage in the top right-hand corner of our iPhones. It’s a reliable and favorite feature that many of us rely on daily, and it can help you determine whether you’ve got enough battery on your device to search for directions or surf the internet. Plus, it’s super helpful in deciding when to toggle Low Power Mode on or off.
- Why your iPhone or iPad Battery Percentage Jumps Around
- Quickly View Battery Levels of Connected Devices on Your iPhone
- At What Health Percentage Should I Replace My iPhone Battery?
- iPhone Shuts Itself Down Even With Sufficient Charge
- Why Is My iPhone Battery Icon Yellow? How to Fix
- iPhone or iPad Battery Won’t Charge: How to Fix
If you have a newer iPhone, you might notice that the battery percentage is no longer visible. This used to be quite difficult to solve, but the solution is now quite simple. Today, you’ll find out how to ensure that you can see your battery percentage again.
Download the Latest iOS Software
When the newer iPhones came out, you were initially unable to always see the battery percentage at the top of your screen. Thankfully, Apple made this available again with iOS 16 in 2022.
The prerequisite to getting your iPhone battery percentage back is downloading the latest iOS software. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and follow the remaining steps when prompted to on your device.
After the newest version of iOS has downloaded on your device, follow these instructions to enable the battery percentage number in your device’s top right-hand corner.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to Battery or type “battery” in the search bar at the top of your screen.
- When the next window appears, you’ll see a toggle next to Battery Percentage Switch this on.
After turning on the feature, you’ll see your battery percentage in the top right-hand corner. It’s worth noting that this looks different from older versions of iOS, when you’d see the percentage number next to the battery instead.
View Your iPhone Battery Percentage in the Control Center
If you don’t want the number to always be visible, you can also quickly view your iPhone battery percentage from the Control Center. Simply swipe into the top right-hand corner of your screen. When you’re there, you’ll see the percentage of battery remaining. Unlike when you turn on the toggle mentioned in the previous section, your battery percentage will appear next to the icon.
Add the Battery Widget to Your iPhone Lock Screen
Another way to quickly check the battery percentage on your iPhone is to add a widget to your Lock Screen. Note that you’ll be able to see the percentage when your iPhone is locked, but it won’t feature in the top right-hand corner.
Here’s how to add the battery widget to your iPhone’s Lock Screen:
- Open the Settings app and go to Wallpaper. Alternatively, tap and hold on your locked iPhone screen (with the display switched on).
- If you went to Settings > Wallpaper, select Add New Wallpaper. For users who chose the second option, click on the + icon instead. You can also press Customize if you’d like to keep your current wallpaper but just want to add the widget.
The remaining steps are the same, regardless of how you accessed your iPhone’s wallpaper settings.
- Tap the widgets bar, which features below the time on your iPhone.
- If you’ve already got the maximum number of widgets, tap the – icon to remove one of them.
- In the Add Widgets section, go to Batteries.
- Tap on the widget to add it to your lock screen.
- Press x when you’re done.
- Tap on your screen and select Done to bring your changes into effect.
View Your Battery Percentage When Charging Your iPhone
Another way to view your iPhone battery percentage is to charge your device. When you connect the charger, you’ll see your screen light up with a battery icon. If you want a second or to, the percentage of your battery will show up — regardless of whether you’ve activated it in the top right-hand corner.
When your iPhone’s charging, you can also press the Standby button to reveal your Lock Screen. If you wait a few seconds, the percentage you’re at will appear on your screen.
Not Seeing the Battery Widget on Your iPhone’s Lock Screen?
You can try a couple of different things if the battery widget isn’t available on your iPhone Lock Screen. First, try switching on the Today View and Search feature.
How to Switch on Today View and Search
- Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode.
- Scroll down to the Allow Access When Locked section. Here, switch the Today View and Search toggle on.
Restart or Force Restart Your iPhone
You can also try restarting or force restarting your iPhone to get the battery feature working again. The process differs depending on which model you have.
- On an iPhone 6S or below, plus all iPads with home buttons & iPod Touches: Press Home and Power at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
- On an iPad with no home button or an iPhone 8 and above models: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side/Top button until you see the Apple logo.
Try Resetting Customized Features
Some of our readers found that resetting their customized features helps get their battery widget back.
- Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Choose Reset.
- Click on Reset All Settings.
This reset removes all customized settings, like wallpapers, accessibility settings, stored WiFi passcodes, and so forth — returning everything to default. None of your data (like photos, texts, documents, or app data) is impacted — just your customized settings and features.
Note that when you change an iPhone Lock Screen wallpaper, the battery widget isn’t added by default. So, you’ll need to manually add that again.
Use These Tips to View the Battery Percentage on Your iPhone
If your iPhone is missing its battery percentage, fear not. Thankfully, Apple made it possible for users to turn the battery percentage back on in the top right-hand corner. In addition to turning that on permanently, it’s also possible to check your iPhone battery percentage via the Control Center on your device.
Perhaps the best way to fix an iPhone missing battery percentage (if you don’t want to constantly have the number appear in the icon) is to add a battery widget. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to add this each time you change your wallpaper, which might become quite irritating for some users.
Danny is a freelance writer who has been using Apple products for over a decade. He’s written for some of the largest technology publications on the web and previously worked as an in-house writer before carving his own route. Danny grew up in the UK, but now writes about tech from his Scandinavian base.