Personal Hotspot (Internet tethering) can be a crucial feature for many people. Several users have reported that their Personal Hotspot has disappeared or not working properly. If you are having problems, try the following troubleshooting tips:
Requirements for Personal Hotspot:
- Verify that your carrier supports Personal Hotspot for your device and that you have Personal Hotspot enabled on your cellular plan: Your wireless carrier must offer Personal Hotspot to be able to use this feature. And you may need to enable Personal Hotspot on your cellular data plan.Please contact your carrier for more info.
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS can share a connection with USB or Bluetooth. iPhone 4 or later and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular can share a connection using Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.
If you your situation meets the above requirements, please refer to the following tips:
- Make sure that you have enabled Personal hotspot by tapping Settings > Personal Hotspot
- Turn off and on Personal Hotspot
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- If you see an “Unable to Join” or timeout , make sure that you remain on the Personal Hotspot screen until the first device connects. Then you may use your phone normally. Hotspot will stop after 90 seconds of inactivity. You can start again by tapping Settings > Personal Hotspot.
- Disable Personal Hotspot then Turn off Bluetooth and turn on WI-Fi and now turn Personal Hotspot ON and stay on this screen until other device is connected.
- Turn off cellular (Settings > General > Cellular), then turn it back on a few seconds later.
- To avoid unnecessary charges, turn off Personal Hotspot when you are not using.
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.