Recently we received a few emails about an issue that some users were experiencing on their iPad and iPhone. When they tapped on iOS Mail, they were able to open their inbox, see the sender details as well as the subject line of the email. But when the users try to tap on the email to open it, it would either freeze the mail app or exit out of the mail app. Other readers report that their email aren’t downloading at all or only some are downloading. And it’s very irritating, especially when you are waiting for an email that never seems to arrive!
Most of the times, once you have set up your email accounts correctly on your iDevice, it works without any major hiccups. There are however times when you encounter this weird issues either following an update to the iOS or after installing a third party app on your iDevice. To fix this problem, please follow the steps outlined below. Thanks to our readers, we were able to test this issue and the related solution. Before you proceed, please remember to write down your email id and the associated password for the account and keep it handy.
- Tips to Fix Unable to Move Message Mail Error
- iOS 10 Mail Tips
- Unable to Delete Mail in iOS
- Customize iOS Mail Gestures
- Customize Mail Attachment Options
- Fix Server does not allow relaying email error
- The most common reason our Mail app isn’t downloading emails or working properly is when our internet connection is absent, down, weak, or spotty. So the first thing to try is to reset your WiFi or Mobile Data Connections.
- Open Settings > Toggle AirPlane Mode On and the Off Again
- Open Settings > WiFi and toggle it Off and On Again
- Try quitting the Mail app altogether
- Double Tap Home to open
- Swipe side to side to locate the Mail window
- Swipe UP on the Mail window to close the app
- Tap Mail to open again
- Reset Your iPhone or iDevice
- Hold down the Power button until you see the message “slide to power off.”
- Slide to the right to power down
- Once switched off, press the Power button again to turn back on
- Reset Network Settings
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
- Enter your password if asked
- Confirm to reset
- ONLY do this if you know your WiFi ID and password–these need to be entered again after resetting
Mail Not Opening Step – 1
Go to Settings > Mail (or Mail, Contacts, Calendar for iOS9 and below)
Mail Not Opening Step – 2
Tap on the email Account that you are having problems with.
Step – 3
Delete the email account. Please note you will not lose your stored emails or your contacts related to this account. Email is stored on the server, so once you solve the issue, they show up again.
Step – 4
Once you have confirmed the deletion of the account, Press the Home button and Sleep/Wake button on the top, together for about 10 seconds till you see the Apple logo appear on your iPhone or iPad. Let the device start normally.
Mail Not Opening Step – 5
Go back to Settings > Mail (Mail, Contacts, and Calendar.) Tap on Add Account and follow directions to set up your email account on the device. If you have issues in setting up the new account on your iDevice, please see detailed instructions from Apple here.
Step – 6
Once you set up your mail account on your iPad or iPhone, give it a try. You should be able to download and open up your emails and read them.
Thanks to Carol and Luke for sharing the problem. Please let us know if you have any issues in the comments below.