The Apple Watch Series 4 features a new Infograph watch face that has room for up to eight complications. Among these are new circular complications that can include progress values or simple images. For the latter, Apple has added a new favorite contacts complication. In this article, you’ll learn more about the new complication and how to use it.
- 1 What Is the Favorite Contacts Complication?
- 2 Setting Up Your Favorites
- 3 Using the Favorite Contacts Complication
- 4 Adding Favorite Contacts Complication to an Existing Watch Face
- 5 Wrap It Up
What Is the Favorite Contacts Complication?
With the favorite contacts complication, you can tap to quickly communicate with one of your most important contacts through voice, text, or email, where applicable. It’s available on the two newest watch faces, both exclusive to the Apple Watch Series 4: Infograph and Infograph Modular.
As you can see below, the circular complication is noted by an image of your contact.
Setting Up Your Favorites
To use the new Apple Watch complication, you need to make sure you have favorite contacts on your iPhone. Once you do, you can activate them for your watch.
Add and Manage Your Favorite Contacts
To create favorites, follow these steps:
- On iPhone, tap the Phone app.
- From the Favorites tab (located at the bottom left corner of the screen), tap on the “+” icon at the top left corner of the screen.
- Next, find your favorite contact. Once you do, you’ll be asked how to identify the favorite. For example, the favorite could include contacting the person through voice, call, video, or mail. Tap the one you want.
- Repeat Steps 1 through 3 to add other favorite contacts.
- You’ll now see your favorite contacts under the Favorite tabs in the Phone app.
- How to Setup and use the Good Morning Lock Screen in iOS 12
- 7 Apple Watch and watchOS Features That You Didn’t Notice
- How to Fix a Missing Favorites Section in the Mac Finder Sidebar
Include Your Favorites to Apple Watch
You can activate the circular favorite contacts complication from the Apple Watch app or the watch itself. If you haven’t yet created an Infograph or Infograph Modular watch face, your best bet is to start in the app where it’s easier to create faces.
- In the Apple Watch app, tap on the Face Gallery.
- At the top of the screen, tap Infograph.
- On the next screen, you’re asked to select the color and complications you’d like to use for your Infograph watch face. The circular complications are called sub-dials. Tap on one of the sub-dials and scroll until you see one of your favorite contacts. In the following example, the sub-dial left has been changed to include the “Favorites: Samantha.”
Once you set up your Infograph watch face, hit “Add” to activate it.
To add favorite contacts to the Infograph Modular watch face, do the follows:
- In the Apple Watch app, tap on the Face Gallery.
- At the top of the screen, tap Infograph Modular.
- On the next screen, you’re asked to select the complications for the Infograph Modular watch face. The circular complications are identified as the bottom left, bottom middle, and bottom right. Tap on one of these circular complications and scroll until you see one of your favorite contacts. In the following example, three favorites were added to the bottom of the Apple Watch face:
Be sure to tap “Add” to activate the Apple Watch face.
Using the Favorite Contacts Complication
Here’s how to use the favorite contacts complication on your Apple Watch:
- From the watch, tap on the complication.
- Select the icon for voice, message, or email, depending on your choice. Yes, it’s that simple. Now you can make contact with your favorites with ease — all from your wrist.
Adding Favorite Contacts Complication to an Existing Watch Face
Like other Apple Watch faces, you can change the appearance of the Infograph or Infograph Modular face on the Apple Watch itself. Here’s how to add a favorite contacts complication to an existing face:
Include those complications
- From the Apple Watch face, swipe left or right from edge to edge until you find the face you’d like to edit. In this case, be sure to select an Infograph or Infograph Modular face.
- When you find the one you want, press on the Digital Crown to select that face. Hit “Customize.”
- Press the display firmly to activate Apple Watch customization.
- Swipe left or right to select a feature, then turn the Digital Crown to make changes.
- Swipe all the way to the left to edit complications. Tap on a complication to select it, then turn the Digital Crown to change it.
- Once you’ve made your changes, press the Digital Crown to save them.
- Tap the watch face to set it as your current one. In the following example, the Activity complication was replaced by a Favorites complication on the Infograph watch face.
Wrap It Up
Being able to reach out to family and friends from your Apple Watch has gotten easier thanks to the new favorite contacts complication available for the Infograph and Infograph Modular Apple Watch face. Add one today to your fourth-generation Apple Watch.