Ever wonder how to download apps without credit card info? Apple provides an all-in-one account for all devices, emails, iCloud, to purchase songs, movies and TV Shows from the iTunes or Music/TV/Books Stores and to download and purchase all types of apps from the App Store on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and even on your Mac.
Getting an Apple ID is easy but creating an Apple ID without a credit card or any defined payment method is a little tricky.
The method to create an Apple ID on your computer, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad works with the same trick; all you have to do is download a free app on your device before creating an account, and it creates an Apple ID without Debit, PayPal, or Credit Card.
However, if you’re the organizer for a Family Sharing group, Apple always requires a payment method, either a credit card, PayPal, or debit card. And Apple also needs a payment method when you set up an account for your children.
Here’s how you can create and maintain an Apple ID for free. This method also works for folks that already have an Apple ID too!
- How to change or remove payment information from App Store
- No None Option When Setting Up Apple ID Payment?
- Manage your Apple ID Using Apple ID Profile on iPhones, iPads
- How to Delete An Apple ID
- Fix Disabled Apple ID
- Q&A: Your Apple ID Has Been Disabled, How to Restore It
The rule of thumb for Apple ID payment methods
If you don’t have an Apple ID, you can create an Apple ID without a payment method.
If you already have an Apple ID, you can remove payment methods from your existing Apple ID after you sign in to the App Store, iTunes Store or Apple Books.
If you’re the family organizer, you’re required to have at least one payment method on file.
If you’re a child under 13, Apple requires a payment method to set up accounts for children.
If you don’t have already have an Apple ID
Create an Apple ID without a payment method or credit card on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- Open the App Store app
- Search for a free app and tap Get
- When asked to sign in with an Apple ID, tap Create New Apple IDChoose the option create new Apple ID
- If you don’t see the option to create a new Apple ID, check if you are already signed in to the App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Books or iCloud with an existing Apple ID
- Choose None when asked for payment method
- You must verify your Apple ID before you can use it
- Verify your information with a trusted phone number if you choose to use two-factor authentication
- Or verify your Apple ID via email
Create an Apple ID without a Credit Card or Payment Method on a Mac or Windows computer
If you’re setting up an Apple ID for the first time and you don’t want to set up any payment options, you must follow these steps to create it using either the App Store (Macs) or iTunes (Windows)
Using iTunes on Windows?
Follow the same steps outlined–find a free item in the iTunes Store, attempt to download it, then follow the on-screen instructions to create a new Apple ID.
1: Open the Mac App Store or iTunes Store on your computer
Ensure you’re in your resident country’s Store by confirming the flag shown. If it’s not the flag of the country where you reside, click that flag and update it to your current country.
2: Find a free app or free item
On the Mac App Store, look through available apps for something free.
For iTunes, download something free, like a song. Or look for a free movie or TV Show (or App and Book if supported in your iTunes version)
Use Spotlight search to locate free items too!
3: Tap the Get button and install or download that free item
When you find a free item, click the Get button.
4: When asked to sign in with an Apple ID, tap Create Apple ID
Follow the on-screen instructions and review and agree to any user agreements.
5: When you reach the payment method, choose None
When asked for payment information, choose None as your payment method.
Type in your address and other information, then follow the on-screen instructions to finish setting up your Apple ID.
6: Verify your Apple ID’s information
After you set-up a new Apple ID, you must verify it. Verification is required before you can use your Apple ID.
You can either verify using a trusted phone number if you chose to use two-factor authentication or verify your Apple ID via email.
We highly advise you to write down your Apple ID’s information including the Email and Password on a piece of paper and save it somewhere handy.
Once Apple verifies your Email, you can use this Apple ID on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Use it as your iCloud account too!
Didn’t get Apple’s Verification Email?
If you didn’t receive the verification email, look and search for any email from Apple.
Make sure you check your spam or junk folder too!
If you need to have it resent, try signing in to your Apple ID account page using that Apple ID and press Resend next to the email address that you need to verify.
Apple should send another verification email to that address.
If the listed email address is incorrect, update it, and Apple sends another verification email.
Not seeing None as an option for payment method?
There’s a variety of reasons why None does not appear as an option, ranging from subscriptions to outstanding debts and payments due to Apple and its iTunes and App Stores.
If you’re unable to get None as an option, check out our detailed article on why and steps you take to get this option.
Already have an Apple ID? No problem!
All you need to do is remove the payment method for your existing Apple ID after you have signed into the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.
At that point, you are only asked for a payment method when you try to make a purchase.
Remove your Apple ID payment information on iPhone and iPad
- Tap Settings > Apple ID Profile > Payment & Shipping or go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Tap your Apple ID > View Apple ID > Manage Payments
- If using Family Sharing, only the family organizer can update payment information
- Enter your Apple ID password
- Tap a payment method and press the minus sign to remove it or swipe and press delete
- Press Done when finished
Remove your Apple ID payment information on a Mac
- Open the App Store
- Tap your name or Apple ID
- Click View Information
- Next to Payment Information, click Manage Payments
- Tap Edit next to the payment method, then choose Remove
Remove your Apple ID payment information on a Windows PC
- Open iTunes
- Choose Account > View My Account
- Enter Apple ID password
- Select View Account
- To remove a payment method from iTunes
- Click Payment Type > Edit
- Only the family organizer can edit payment information
- Select None to remove the payment method
- Tap Done
Write a Comment