Apple’s iPhone X and the iPhone 8 are great and well-made smartphones. Chances of hardware related issues are rare. Recently, we heard from some readers that they were experiencing call sound issues with iPhone X models and iPhone 8/8 Plus models. In particular, we’re hearing readers complain that ” I can’t hear my phone calls unless I put it on speaker” or things like “I can’t hear anything on my iPhone!”
- No Text or Message Notifications Alerts or Sounds on iPhone?
- AirPods Disconnecting Calls on iPhone or Other Sound Issues?
- Using Siri to Announce Incoming Calls
The Symptoms of Call Sound Issues With iPhone X & iPhone 8
The problem only happens during a phone call. The other person at the end of the line cannot hear you clearly when you are on your new iPhone. The moment you switch the call from a regular mode to a speakerphone mode, the problem goes away. This means that for these users, their iPhone can’t hear caller unless on speaker.
Additionally, some users have reported no issues with their iPhone microphone when they have used it with voice memos or other third party apps that require microphone use.
If your iPhone X or iPhone 8 device is under warranty with AppleCare+, the best thing to do is to take it to your closest Apple store and have them look at it. It will at least rule out any hardware issues if there are any. The chances are that you may get a replacement for your device at no cost. Since these iPhone models are the newest models, Apple wants to fix or replace it with a new iPhone.
Where are the Microphones on iPhone X and iPhone 8 models?
The microphone on your newer iPhones is present both on the front and the rear sides of the device. According to the technical specification of the iPhone 8, one microphone is on the top of the device, the other adjacent to the charging port and there is another next to the rear camera. Additionally, it helps to get familiar with the microphone location so that you can periodically check it for debris or be mindful that you are not blocking it when you are on a call.
People Cannot Hear Me on My iPhone X, 10 Tips to Consider
Here are a few tips that should give you a general guidance around fixing this issue on your device. Please try a hard reset your device before you proceed with the steps below. Sometimes a simple reboot of your device can do wonders. Please try the ones that you think might impact you and check if it solves your issue with call sound quality on your iPhone X or iPhone 8.
10 Tips for Sound Issues on Calls
- From our experience with iPhones, we have seen that many issues can be traced back to your iPhone accessories. The first thing to try is to remove your iPhone X cover/case and see if the muffled sound issue on your iPhone goes away.
- This issue with iPhone covers is even more important if you are using an iPhone cover that flips. Sometimes, when you try to flip the cover to the back while on a call, it can block the rear microphone thereby interfering with the call volume and quality on your iPhone. If you bought the Apple Folio cover for your iPhone X or iPhone 8, remove the cover and give it a try.
- Since your iPhone is new/’er’, the chances are that the microphones are not covered with any debris or dirt. It still may be a good idea to check and make sure that the microphone positions on your device are relatively clean.
- Apple recently released iOS 11.2. If you have not yet updated your iPhone, update your device to this latest iOS and see if the issue is resolved. Apple’s iOS upgrades include bug fixes and performance improvements.
- A few ifolks found some relief by trying out a workaround that pertains to noise canceling on your iPhone. Tap on Settings > General > Accessibility> Phone Noise Cancellation. Switch this setting to OFF. This change does work for many folks, but we don’t think that this is a sustainable workaround. It defeats one of the good features on your iPhone.
- A reader found some relief by changing the Cellular settings on his device. If you have LTE, Tap on Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE. Here change it from ‘Voice & Data’ to Data Only.
- Are you by any chance using any third party call blocking/filtering app on your iPhone? Try and uninstall the Phone related third party apps and see if it resolves your call sound issue. This problem is rare, but we have seen at times when third-party apps or extensions can interfere with the iPhone experience especially after iOS upgrades.
- There is no harm trying out the Reset Network Settings. When your issue is related to networks, try this reset. Tap on Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Once the iPhone starts back up, you should also check and see if any pending carrier updates needed on your iPhone x /8. Tap on Settings > General > About your phone…and carrier.
- Check with your carrier and see if they can assist with the issue. Sometimes when the problem is carrier related, your particular carrier offers better guidance. This might save you a trip to the Apple store.
- This last step is a pain, but sometimes it needs to be done to fix weird issues that cannot be fixed by a simple change in settings. You will need to restore your iPhone to factory settings and do a clean install of the iOS. Restoring your iPhone to New can help with the issue.
We are hoping that replacing the iPhone cover or resetting the Network helped you with the issue.
If you have tried the ten steps above and could not fix the call sound issue on your iPhone X or iPhone 8, you are looking to make the trip to the closest Apple store and have the genius support look at your iPhone. You can make online appointments with Apple support to make the support process more comfortable and convenient.