Chinese software team Pangu recently released the first jailbreak for all compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models running iOS 9, iOS 9.0.1, and iOS 9.0.2., including the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
We recommend that you should not jailbreak your device. Jailbreaking can cause performance issues. Furthermore, the process will void your warranties. This means that you may not take your iPhone or iPad in for repair from the official Apple Store.
The good news is that removing the jailbreak and Cydia from your device is simple and easy. If you wish to reverse the jailbreak on your iPhone or iPad, then follow these simple steps to restore your iOS device to its original state (factory settings).
Removing Jailbreak from iOS Devices
- Back up your device (Settings > iCloud > Backup)
- Connect the jailbroken device to your computer, PC or Mac, using the USB cable
- Launch iTunes
- Unlock your device, if you set up a passcode
- Turn of Find My iPhone by going to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone. You need to enter your Apple ID and password to turn this off.
- In iTunes, choose your device (iPhone or iPad) when it appears
- In the Summary panel, click Restore. Clicking this button will start the unjailbreak process.
- Your device will restart. You will be asked if you would like to restore from backup. You may want to select iCloud option if you have a backup in iCloud.
And now your iOS device is back to its factory settings and you should see the usual setup screen when you first purchase the device. This means you may contact Apple for service. Most Apple devices come with a one year warranty. Do not worry as Apple employees cannot know if your device was jailbroken previously.
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.