Along with a host of new features for iPhone and iPad, Apple introduced some terrific new options in the Maps app with iOS 13 and iPadOS.
Favorites have been improved, Collections let you gather locations, Look Around gives you a street view, and sharing your ETA has never been easier.
For a closer look at all that’s new in Apple Maps and how to use the features, read on!
- How To Check Air Quality on your iPhone in Maps and Weather App
- 5 best CarPlay features in iOS 13
- How to Connect Your Contacts to the Apple Maps app
Get Fast Access to Favorites
We’ve covered the Favorites feature of the Maps app with good reason. You want to be able navigate to your frequently visited locations with a tap. Whether you’re heading home from an unfamiliar spot or want to see your arrival time to the office, here’s what you can now do with Favorites in Maps.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the Maps app to see your Favorites located right at the top.
- You’ll see Home and Work by default and can add the addresses for those spots from your Contact card by tapping on them.
- Tap Add to include another location in your Favorites.
- Search for the business or address and select it.
- You’ll then see the address and type of location.
- Tap Done when you finish.
Now your new Favorite will show up next to your others. If you continue to add more, just swipe right to view them or tap See All.
If you’d like to put your Favorites in a different order or remove one, you can do both easily.
- Swipe up to access your Favorites and tap See All.
- Tap Edit on the bottom left.
- Select and drag a Favorite to a new spot in the list.
- You’ll notice that Home and Work cannot be moved, but you can Delete them if needed, like other locations, by tapping the minus sign.
- When you finish, tap Done.
There is a plus sign on the bottom right of the See All screen so that you can add locations to your Favorites while you’re there too.
Create Cool Collections
Collections is a brand-new feature in the Maps app. This allows you to gather a group of locations and keep them together. So, you could create a collection of locations you want to visit on a trip, go to on a date, or help plan a girls or guys night out.
Add a Collection
- Swipe up from the bottom of the Maps app and below Favorites are your Collections.
- Tap New Collection.
- Give your Collection a name and tap Create.
- Optional: You can then tap the Collection on the next screen to start adding locations to it right away if you like by tapping Add a Place.
- Search for the location and then tap to add it to your Collection.
If you don’t want to start adding locations to your Collection, don’t worry because you can do that at any time and a couple of different ways.
Add locations to a Collection
You can add a location to a Collection by searching for it or after you’ve found a spot. We’ll start with the steps for searching for a location.
- Swipe up to see your Collections and tap the one you want.
- Tap the plus sign on the bottom right.
- Search for the location and select to add it.
- Tap Done.
If you happen to come across a location that you want to add to an existing Collection, this is easy.
- With the location on the map, swipe up to view its details.
- Tap Add to and pick the Collection.
Edit a Collection
While you cannot currently arrange your Collections as you want them, you can Delete them and work with the locations within a Collection.
Delete a Collection
To delete a Collection, swipe up to view your Collections, swipe from right to left the one you want to delete, and tap Remove.
To delete more than one Collection, swipe up to view your Collections and tap See All. Tap Edit, select the ones you want to remove, and tap Delete.
Edit a Collection and its locations
Once you add locations to a Collection, you can sort them or delete them. In addition, you can edit your Collection by changing its title or photo.
- Swipe up to access your Collections, tap the one you want, and tap Edit on the bottom left.
- To sort locations, tap Sort by at the top and pick from Name, Distance, or Date Added.
- To remove locations, select one or more and tap Delete.
- To edit a Collection title, tap it and enter the new name.
- To edit or add a Collection’s picture, tap the Photo next to the title.
- When you finish with all of your changes, tap the X at the top to close the Collection.
Have a Look Around
Look Around is another great new feature in the Maps app. While Google implemented its Street View feature long ago, Apple has finally jumped on the bandwagon with Look Around. This nice view lets you get close up and personal with city streets around the world.
For a list of locations in countries like the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and others, visit the Apple Maps Image Collection website.
If you have a location in the maps app that is on the list, here’s how to use Look Around.
- Swipe up to view the location details and tap Look Around when you see it on an image.
- When the view appears, slide your finger to move the view left or right. You’ll get a full 360-degree scene.
- If you tap the arrows at the top, you can see the location on a map along with the Look Around view. As you move your finger to view the area, you’ll see the Binoculars icon move in the same direction on the map.
- You also have a handy compass on the screen so you can see which direction you’re viewing and if you tap the Compass, it will set back to north.
- When you finish with Look Around, tap Done.
Look Around works in both portrait and landscape views, so you can use whichever you like best or even both!
Another of the new features in Apple Maps is the ability to share your estimated time of arrival (ETA). This lets your friends, family, or coworkers know when you’re expected to arrive at a location and also provides them your route.
For both convenience and safety, the ability to share your ETA is a wonderful addition to Maps. Here’s how to use it.
- Open the location you’re heading to in Maps and tap Go to start your journey.
- Before you leave, swipe up and tap Share ETA.
- Select one or more contacts to share with. (To stop sharing with them at any time, swipe up, tap Sharing ETA ,and then tap the contact to stop sharing.)
- As you’re traveling to the location, your contact will be able to see your estimated time of arrival, route, and destination in the Maps app all the way until you arrive. This will also include any delays you experience on the way.
Other new features in Apple Maps
These are definitely the notable features in the new and improved Maps app, but there are even more!
- Junction View: For drivers in China, this feature gets you in the correct lane before your turn.
- Real-time Transit: You can now see live departure times, the location of the transport, and a detailed schedule for transit stops.
- Flight Status: Get details for your flight including terminals, gates, departure times, and more.
- Customer Feedback: If you need to report an issue with a location, you’ll be using a redesigned feedback form making the process simpler.
Tell us about your favorite new Maps feature
Each of these new features in Apple Maps is a great addition to the app. But not everyone uses the same features or uses them as often as others. So, please feel free to comment below with your favorite new features in Maps!
Sandy worked for many years in the IT industry as a project manager, department manager, and PMO Lead. She then decided to follow her dream and now writes about technology full-time. Sandy holds a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology.
She loves technology– specifically – terrific games and apps for iOS, software that makes your life easier, and productivity tools that you can use every day, in both work and home environments.
Her articles have regularly been featured at MakeUseOf, iDownloadBlog and many other leading tech publications.