Some users are experiencing problems with black / frozen screens; after upgrading to iOS 9.
More specifically, your iPhone ( or iPad) screen may go black when you launch an app. Users stated that this problem occurs when an app is launched the first time. Some users also stated that this black screen problem starts occurring after making a call with Voice Control.
It seems that this is not a random issue. We were able to replicate this bug by doing this:
- Disable Siri (if it is enabled) by going to Settings > General > Siri.
- Lock your iPhone screen by pressing sleep/wake button.
- Press and hold the Home button to activate Voice Control
- Call somebody using Voice Control (you may say ‘call Tom’, for example)
- Talk then end the call.
- Now you will experience this bug. Simply open an app that wasn’t previously opened. Opening any app will result in a complete black screen.
It seems that mostly iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c users are affected by this issue.
If you are experiencing this display bug, here is how you can troubleshoot:
- We were able to fix this bug by simply enabling Siri. If Siri is disabled, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn Siri on.
- Tap Settings then Display & Brightness then change Display Zoom View from “Standard” to “Zoomed” or “Zoomed” to “Standard”; depending on your original setting.
- If the tips above does not solve this problem, try this: Tap Settings; Display & Brightness then tap Display Zoom View and choose Zoomed and tap “Set”. A message will say “Changing Display Doom will restart iPhone” and tap “Use Zoomed”. After your iPhone restart, now tap Standard > Set and “Use Standard.
- Tap Settings > Display & Brightness then disable “Auto-Brighness”.
- Restart your device by pressing and holding the on/off button.
- Force your device to restart by pressing on/off and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
- Remove and reinstall the app that you are having problems with. To do this, tap and hold the app, then tap the (x) sign when it jiggles. Then go to the App Store and re-download the same app.
See also: App Store not working: Blank Screen