1. Update your device to the latest version of iOS software. This is a really simple process. You can update your iPad wirelessly, If your device is running iOS 5 or later. Simply tap Settings > General > Software Update to check for available updates. If an iOS update is available, you can tap Download to install.
2. Clear Safari history and cookies. To clear your history, tap Settings > Safari > Clear History. To clear all cookies, tap Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data.
3. Clear Safari stored data. To clear other stored information, tap Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data > Remove All Website Data. This option is only available if your device is running iOS 5 or later.
4. Restart the iPad. Simply restarting your device may fix various Safari issues.Press and hold the On/Off (or Sleep/Wake) button until you see the red “slide to power off”, and then slide the slider.To turn back on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until you see the Apple logo.
5. Clear and disable Autofill (not all iOS versions have this feature, if your device is running iOS 5, then you have this). If you have it, clear and turn this off. Tap Settings > Safari > Autofill > Clear All. Also turn everything (Use Contact Info & Names and Passwords) off.
6. Turn iCloud Bookmark Syncing off. Tap Settings > General > iCloud >toggle Bookmark syncing off.
7. Go to Settings > Safari and turn on Private Browsing, then when prompted “Close all Tabs”. Then turn Private Browsing back off.
If the problem still persists after performing steps above, please try:
- iOS: Safari freezes, fix
- Safari bookmarks disappear on iPad/iPhone
- Safari Reading List disappeared on iPad, iPhone; fix
- iOS 6: Safari cache problem, fix
Dan is a freelance writer based in South West England.
He spent two years supervising repairs as a Genius Admin for Apple Retail and uses that knowledge to keep our troubleshooting guides up to date.
Long before that, Dan turned to Apple products from a musical background. Having owned iPods for years, he bought a MacBook to learn sound recording and production. It was using those skills that he gained a first-class Bachelor of Science in Sound Technology.