Several users have reported that Siri software does not always work on their iPhone. Some of these Siri problems start happening on their own out of the blue while others experience problems after an iOS Upgrade on their device. If Siri is not working on your iPhone, you can follow the steps below and give it a try.
It is important to note that 90% of Siri’s magic happens in the Apple Servers and not your local device. It is, therefore, important that you have a reliable Wi-Fi or cellular signal when trying to get Siri working on your iPhone.
- Hello, Hey Siri Tricks and Tips That Work
- Using Hey Siri on Your Mac
- Siri Tips & Trick that Work
- Siri and Your Apple Watch
How to fix Siri problems in General
If you are having problems with Siri, you may try the following steps to resolve your issue
- Make sure that that your iPhone is connected to the Internet
- Make sure that Siri is enabled (Settings > General > Siri) especially if you have older iOS. On iOS 10+ select Settings > Siri > and enable Siri
- Make sure that Siri is set to the correct language (Settings > General > Siri > Language). iOS 10 +, this can be found on Settings > Siri > Language
- Some of the Siri features require you to use Location Services. You may want to turn on Location Services (Settings > Location Services)
- a reader noticed that Siri’s volume is independent of your device’s set volume. While Siri is answering a question push the volume button to increase volume ! Instant sound!!!
- Disable Siri (tap Settings->General>Siri OR Settings > Siri), then turn your iPhone off and on and re-enable Siri again
If the above steps do not work, try resetting all settings on your iPhone. To do that tap, Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings. Note that this will remove all settings and preferences. But your data (apps, songs, etc.) will not be deleted
With Newer iOS releases, there are additional steps that you can take to see if it solves your issue
- Switch On/Off Dictation: Settings > General > Scroll down to keyboards > Toggle Enable Dictation to Off and Turn it on. This is the last setting on the screen, so you need to scroll down to the bottom of the screen to access this.
- Enable Hey Siri: Turn ON Hey Siri: Settings > General > Siri > Tap on Allow Hey Siri if you are using older iOS. You can access this setting on iOS 10 and higher versions by tapping on Settings > Siri
- Clean your iPhone/iPad Microphone and make sure it is unobstructed.
Siri doesn’t work after iOS 10+ Updates
Several users have found that their Siri on their mobile device works only when connected to their Wi-Fi but does not operate when they are on a cellular connection away from their home or office. People report seeing the error message ‘Connection not available’ when trying to access Siri on their cellular connection. If you are having this issue, you may want to look at your VPN settings on your iPhone.
The VPN software apparently blocks your device’s access to Apple Servers.
The new iOS 10 does not seem to work with some of the older VPN installs on your iPhone. Delete the VPN profile in your iPhone settings by tapping on Settings > General > VPN. Once you remove the VPN Profile, give it a try.
Additional Siri Resources to Consider
If you have other challenges with using Siri, you may want to consider some of these resources below. There is a lot of material out there that walks you through some of the Siri tricks and tips, but we wanted to share some of the common and productive Siri tips that have been tested and work on your iPhone.
- Siri Tricks and Tips That Actually work on your iPhone
- Third party Apps that leverage Siri to provide the Best experience
We hope that the tips and resources provided above worked for you and you can get your Siri working on your device again. Please let us know in the comments if there are other issues that you are facing with Siri.