AirPods are Apple’s Bluetooth wireless earbuds that include a unique, Apple-developed chip, the W1, that helps optimize battery use, enhance the Bluetooth connections and improve overall audio connectivity. AirPods also feature fantastic user interactions!
For example, when you remove an AirPod from one ear, playback pauses. Your AirPods just sense when they’re in your ears and pause when you take them out.
And depending on how you set them up, double tapping either AirPod activates Siri or plays and pauses playback. So when you discover that your AirPods are not working, it’s a real pain!
AirPods are compatible with devices running iOS 10 and above, and they automatically sync through iCloud so switching from one iDevice to another, to an Apple Watch, or even any Mac running macOS Sierra or higher is easy.
They even work with any device that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or higher, including Android phones and tablets– AND the double tap gesture control playback on Android too!
That Amazing Chip
The W1 chip, designed and developed by Apple, produces exceptionally efficient wireless that makes for a better wireless connection and improves the overall sound.
This chip manages battery life well so that you can listen for up to 5 hours on a single charge.
The Look and Feel
AirPods are quite similar to the shape of the elder EarPods, which were included with any iPhone purchase starting with the iPhone 5.
But make no mistake, these Bluetooth-based AirPods are way more sophisticated and intelligent!
Release and Updates
AirPods were introduced on September 7, 2016, alongside the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2.
And the release of iOS 10.3 added AirPods to the “Find My iPhone” app so that you can locate your missing AirPods within a certain distance.
iOS 11 added some additional functionality to your AirPods, including different Double-Tap selections for the Left and Right AirPod.
And iOS 12 adds a feature called Listen Live, which helps isolate sound going to your hearing aid when in challenging audio environments–like a busy restaurant or city park.
Troubleshooting AirPods Not Working
- Live Listen for AirPods, What To Know
- Check Your AirPod Battery Status on iPhone, Watch, Mac, even Android
- AirPods Went Through the Washing Machine? What Can You Do
- AirPods Not Connecting to Apple Watch, How-To Fix
- How To Clean Your AirPods and Other Wireless Earphones
- Apple AirPods: Perfecting the AirPod Double Tap
- How To Connect AirPods and HomePod to a MacBook or Mac
- Find Your Lost AirPods and AirPods Case
- AirPods Disconnecting on Calls? Or Sound Problems? Tips to Fix It Now!
- AirPods Not Auto-Pairing or Pairing with BT Devices?