Apple designed the new iOS 12 for performance and reliability. It makes Apps more responsive and faster. The new operating system for your iPhone and iPad also includes many new and noteworthy features such as the Screentime app, Shortcuts and automatic sharing of emergency location.
In this article, we look at some of the common iOS 12 Problems and offer tips and suggestions to fix these.
Developers put iOS 12 through rigorous testing cycles (12 developer betas before the Apple Event), and we have found it more responsive and faster even on the older iPhone models.
If you have not installed iOS 12 and are reading this article, please note that these problems are not widespread and tend to happen with some devices every iOS release cycle and are easily fixed with various resets or with carrier assistance.
Don’t Forget To Backup!
How to Prepare your iPhone or iPad for iOS 12
Always make sure to backup your iPhone or iPad before you install new software or conduct troubleshooting activities with the device.
- 25 iOS 12 Tips That Work
- 10 New iOS 12 Siri Features That You Can Use
- Shortcuts for iOS 12, How to Setup and Use this New Feature
Cannot Install iOS 12, Error Occurred during iOS Install
So you back up your device, make sure that it has enough space for the iOS update and then tap on Settings > General > Software Update to start the process of iOS 12 install and all hell breaks loose.
Most installation errors are not on you or your device if your device is fully charged, connected to a strong Wi-Fi network and you have adequate free storage on your device.
For the most part, this problem happens due to a wide variety of reasons that are not device related. The main reason that it can be device related is when your iPhone or iPad doesn’t have enough free storage.
Give iTunes A Try For Updating Your iPhone or iPad
If you are struggling to find free storage on your device, a better bet is to use iTunes to update your device to iOS 12 as opposed to OTA.
We have found that using iTunes to update your device is often less error-prone than OTA (over the air ) update, especially if you have faced an install error and trying to install again
- Errors Installing iOS 12, Here is How you can fix them.
- Cannot Update to watchOS 5, Internet Error? Here’s How to Fix
Trying To Update Your iOS Again? Delete Partial Installation Files First
Many users run into iOS install issues when they don’t clear the partial iOS download from their device storage before attempting to re-install. Make sure to delete the download from your storage and then attempt re-install.
For weird errors such as ‘No Internet Connection’ message, there is no one solution to fix the issue
- We suggest that you work through some of the tips in the comprehensive iOS 12 Install troubleshooting guide to help you through the difficult errors.
- This article also highlights how you can upgrade from Beta to regular iOS 12.
Check Apple System Status
With iOS install related issues, it is important that you remember that there is a lot of traffic to the Apple Servers when the software is made available.
So before you start, visit Apple’s System Status to make sure there aren’t any current issues or outages due to problems or higher than expected traffic.
Or hold off a day or two and then try re-installing the update.
Device Asking For A Passcode After iOS 12 Install?
Installed iOS 12 Successfully but cannot get beyond the passcode screen?
Does your update or device require a 6 digit passcode??
But you never even had a six-digit security iPhone passcode, and now you just cannot get past this screen.
Try entering 1234 or 123456 as the passcode and check if you that does it for you. You may have to reset it once you can access your device.
iPhone is Asking for a Passcode after iOS Update, Try these steps
We saw this issue with iOS 10 and iOS 11 and put together that article to help you if you ever get stuck with this issue following an iOS update.
Screen Time Asking For a Passcode?
If after updating, Screen Time is asking for a passcode but you either don’t know it or never set one up, then check out this article for assistance.
For folks who had Restrictions on before and during the update, your Screen Time passcode is the same as your old Restrictions passcode.
Two other issues that we found are worth mentioning in this section
- The iOS 12 Now Features Automatic Software Update. Learn how you can enable or disable this feature
- Following the iOS Update, the Settings App shows that you must update your telephone number related to your Apple ID. The attached link shows you what you can do to tackle this message following the update.
- Along the lines of Apple ID, Many users report seeing a request to update their Apple ID. Once they enter the passcode, the Settings freezes with a spinning wheel at the top right. The user is also unable to search using the search field in the Settings. Easiest fix for the is to change the default language from English US to English UK. Close Settings App. Change the language back to English US and close the Settings app again. Next time, you open the Settings app, the issue would have been resolved.
Forced Restart, Why Not? There are no Risks.
If your iOS 12 update went smoothly without any hiccups and you are trying to look for answers into other errors, we suggest that you first try two simple resets before you look for solutions to your iOS 12 problems.
Most software related issues can often be fixed by a simple forced restart on your iPhone or iPad
Another option to try is to Reset all Settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms and reverts all your personalized and customized features like wallpapers and so forth back to factory defaults.
So you need to reconfigure these settings once your iPhone or iDevice restarts.
Neither of these has any major risks. You won’t lose any data from your device when you do a forced restart.
You may have to change your settings a wee bit ( WiFi Name and passcodes etc) if you do Reset All but again it keeps your data intact on your device.
Changes in iOS 12, Here’s What You Should Know
Remember how Apple changed the location of Airdrop in iOS 11? Well, there are a few changes in iOS 12 that might be worth noting when it comes to regular stuff.
These are not iOS 12 Problems but changes in navigation and placement that can take time to locate.
Here are the common changes in iOS 12 that you need to know of
- Where are Restrictions in iOS 12
- How to Restore Screentime password
- Why is my iPhone choosing Password for me in iOS 12
The first of these changes pertain to Restrictions. The setting location for Restrictions has changed. There is a new Strong password feature in iOS 12 that suggests strong passwords.
The other one that we found interesting is the Control center for iPad.
It’s a little different than how you accessed the control center in iPad in earlier iOS versions.
Another change you will find interesting is around sharing photos when using iMessage
How to AirDrop Safari Password and save time in iOS 12
AirDrop has become smarter in iOS 12. Here’s a cool tip when you need to share a password with somebody else in the family using your iPhone.
Just AirDrop it to other person’s device!
- Tap on Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords
- Enter your passcode or use Face ID/TouchID for verification
- Now Tap on the website for which you want to share the password
- On the next screen, pres and hold the password field, and you see ‘Airdrop’ pop up in the options
- From here you can drop the password via Airdrop
Apps Missing After iOS 12 Update?
If you discover that some of your apps aren’t showing up after your update to iOS 12, here’s a quick list of things to check.
- Look in your folders for the app
- Check that the app is still available in the App Store
- Depending on what iOS you updated from, some apps may no longer be compatible with iOS 12
- Restart or Force restart your device after the update completes
For more tips, check out our article on How To Find Missing or Hidden Apps on Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
Safari Issues with iOS 12? Page Not Loading and Other Problems
We have not seen many Safari related issues with iOS 12 . Since Safari is the most common web browser, we wanted to provide a few pointers that should help you with Safari related issues on iOS 12.
- Check the Safari Settings and disable experimental features. Tap on Settings > Safari > Advanced > Experimental Features and disable swap navigation if it is on
- When faced with the incomplete page load issue on Safari, a quick workaround is to change the orientation of the iPhone or iPad
- Switch your device to landscape mode for a couple of seconds, and the page will immediately load. It’s a workaround that works most of the time. We are not sure what causes this issue
- Error 403 when opening Safari. We encountered this error early on and found that it was a carrier related issue.
- Switching to Wi-Fi and switching off Cellular showed that Safari was working without any problems
- Rule of thumb for Safari related issues: When facing Safari problems on your device, first clear your history ( Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data > Clear History and Data)
- Lastly, toggling iCloud for Safari also seems sometimes to help when facing issues such as Private browsing not found, sync bookmarks disappearing etc.
- Tap on Settings > Your ID at the top > iCloud > Safari
- Disable Safari here, wait for a minute and re-enable it again
Over the years, we have created a long list of Safari related troubleshooting articles that you will find helpful if you are stuck with Safari issues on your iPhone or iPad after the update.
Safari No Longer Showing Passwords in iOS 12
Many users have Password related issues after updating their iOS. If you are unable to find your saved Safari passwords, you will find this step-by-step article useful where we look through the iCloud files and try to figure out how to restore Safari passwords.
Tip: The easiest thing you can try if Safari is no longer showing passwords in iOS 12 is to tap on Settings> Your Apple Id at the top > iCloud > Keychain . Switch the Keychain toggle to OFF, wait for a minute or two and then turn it back to ON. Restart your iPhone and you should hopefully be able to see the passwords in Safari.
Safari Passwords Missing After iOS Update, How-To Fix
Missing Contact Names after iOS or WatchOS Update
Historically, many users have had issues with their contacts App in iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch after a recent upgrade.
The problem that manifests is that your contacts are there. You can see their numbers in iMessage and other apps, but for some reason, the contact names don’t show up.
This issue is primarily a sync feature related issue and is easily fixed. Please follow the instructions in these two pieces to resolve the missing contact names issues
- Contact Names Missing After iOS Update. Only Displays Numbers
- Contact names Missing After watchOS update. Here’s the real fix
Visual Voicemail Problems after iOS 12 Update
This issue is another one of those persistent errors that show up when a new iOS is released. We think that this happens because of carrier software update issues.
The best thing that you can do is to update your visual voicemail password with the help of your carrier. Nine out of ten times, we have seen that this makes your voicemail work.
Depending on which carrier you use for your iPhone, there are ways to troubleshoot this item. We have included tips for the most common carriers in the above article.
iOS 12 Bluetooth and GPS Related Issues, Here are some Tips
In the early testing of iOS 12, We had found that there were some significant issues with GPS tracking but these were corrected in the subsequent iOS 12 versions.
GPS Tip for Third-Party Apps
- An easy workaround that seems to work most of the times when facing GPS issues with third-party apps is to close all the apps on your iPhone that use GPS
- Next, open Apple Maps and type in an address, wait for 10 seconds and then launch your third-party GPS app and see if it tracks the GPS position correctly
We are not sure why, but a reader reported success when she turned off the Do Not Disturb functionality entirely on her iPhone. GPS started working perfectly.
With the DND turned on, her Google Maps was back having problems with geolocations.
GPS Issues after iOS Update, How to Fix
Similarly, Turning off Wi-Fi on the iPhone showed that GPS was working.
When facing persistent GPS related issues
- Make sure to Reset your Network Settings and check ( Settings > General > Reset Network Settings)
- Sometimes a clean restore of the iOS using iTunes can be very helpful when dealing with GPS related problems.
Bluetooth Not Working with Car System, Disable Sync Contacts
We found that when you disable the ‘Contacts Sync’ portion of the car’s Bluetooth integration, the Bluetooth works well.
To get started, delete your iPhone from your Car’s memory. Reconnect it and when the step prompts you to ‘Sync Contacts,’ bypass it. Not the ideal solution but the workaround helped during early versions of iOS 12.
There might be a new firmware update for your Car Bluetooth. Sometimes updating the car’s software to the most current version helps out.
iOS 12 Bluetooth Related Problems, How To Fix
For some of the most commonly used Bluetooth accessories such as the Jaybirds or BOSE speakers, we have listed out a few of the troubleshooting tips that you might find useful.
AirDrop Issues after iOS 12 Update – Switch It from the Default
Following the iOS 12 update, many users have seen that their Airdrop does not seem to work correctly. You can send files, but nobody can find you when searching via Airdrop.
This error is probably related to the default behavior of Airdrop after the update.
You will need to switch the Airdrop Settings back to ‘Everyone’ using control center or the Settings app (Settings > General > Airdrop).
AirDrop Not Working, How To Fix
For other Airdrop issues following the iOS 12 update, we suggest that you Reset All Settings and check if the issue is fixed.
AirDrop Troubleshooting Tip:
- Irrespective of the iOS update, if your Airdrop is not working with any of your Apple devices, try deleting yourself from the Contacts app from all your devices and recreate again. ( Settings > Contacts > My Info)
- Locate your name and 3D Touch it to open it. Scroll down and then delete contact
- You can then recreate your contact again and assign it) Test Airdrop and check
No Time? Check Out Our AirDrop Video!
iOS 12 Problems and Tips Related to Commonly Used Apps
iOS 12 is packed with new features in most of its popular apps. There are a lot of new features starting with Grouped Notifications, Group chatting in Facetime, Dual FaceID support and the brand new ScreenTime and Shortcuts features.
This section highlights some of the common issues with apps such as iMessage, Facetime, and others.
Notification Related Issues on iOS 12
The Notification features have been revamped with iOS 12 to include support for grouped notifications. You can also choose to deliver quietly and prominently in iOS 12. ( A new notification feature).
The first of the issues that we explored was around missing alerts when new notifications arrive on your device.
Missing Notification Alerts? Take a look at the tips here.
Grouped notifications work pretty good, except for minor issues that we found. Here are some tips to help you if you are having issues with the new group notifications feature in iOS 12
Group Notifications Not Working in iOS 12, How-To Fix
The Reset All Setting seems to work wonders for many Notification related issues. The only exception was Facebook push notifications.
We have had challenges with it working all the time. Make sure to upgrade your FB Apps to the latest versions if you are having issues. A quick delete and re-install of the App can also be useful.
iMessage and FaceTime Not Working with iOS 12. How-To Fix
We have spend quite some time working with the new iMessage and Facetime features in iOS 12.
Based on our experiences, we have created two very detailed troubleshooting guides for these two apps that you will find handy if you run into any issues with iMessage and FaceTime.
- iMessage Not Working with iOS 12, How-To Fix
- FaceTime Issues and Errors after upgrading to iOS 12? Try these Fixes
- Apple music Not Working on iPhone or iPad, How-To Fix
iBooks Navigation Changes in iOS 12
Books, as it is called in iOS 12 has changed some of its features. There is a new Wish list feature and a separate section for Audio books along with new sharing options.
iOS 12 Books, Tips and Tricks for Commonly Used Functions
The Hide and unhide titles in Books have changed a little. This handy guide will be useful if you are looking to get an overview of the changes as it related to some of the most common actions in Books in iOS 12
iOS 12 Update Causing Battery Issues?
After every major iOS update, we have seen readers complain about battery issues.
We didn’t notice any battery draining problems with iOS 12. In fact, the battery performance has been much better than prior iOS versions.
It is important to remember that sometimes it can take a few days after the iOS update before you see ideal battery performance. After the iOS update is applied, there are many background re-indexing related tasks that run, and it can cause some battery issues.
Battery Charging is solid with iOS 12 ( Put your device into Airplane mode when charging for a faster-charging cycle ).
Fast Charging worked as intended and took less than 30 minutes to get to 80% charge.
Apple’s Battery Replacement program for $29 ends in a few months. If you have battery or performance problems with your iPhone, you should avail yourself of this offer.
Similarly for iPhone 8 users with restart/freeze issues, please make sure to check Apple’s logic board replacement program to see if your device is affected.
We hope that you found this comprehensive troubleshooting page helpful. We plan on keeping this post updated with new tips and tricks as well as Reader’s tips in the coming weeks.
Stay tuned and let us know if you have any questions or comments below.
Write a Comment